1540 Nicholas Yates John Howode, [Huntingdon Priory being dissolved]
1560 Thomas Hulcock The Lord Keeper of the Great Seal
at the request of the Parishioners d. 1563
1564 Christopher Keye " "
1597 Clement Bacon " "
1598 Thomas Richards, M .A Queen Elizabeth d. 1620
1620 Ezechiel Waade
1660 Thomas Case, M .A.
1665 John Bush King Charles II d. 1684
1684 John Sturges, M .A . " " cess 1690
1690 Samuel Sturges, M .A. King William & Queen Mary d. 1706
1710 Robert Crosse, B.A. Queen Anne
1720 John Mathews King George I
1732 Robert Manlove, M .A. d. 1753
1753 Richard Caryer King George II
1771 John Trollope King George Ill d. 1794
1794 Thomas Daniel Trollope, M .A. " " ex. 1828
1828 John Daniel Hopkins, M .A King George IV d. 1857 11
1857 Charles Henry Benson Gladwin, B.A Queen Victoria
1860 George Pinder " " r. 1870
1870 Frederick Nottidge Ripley, M .A
1880 George Cockburn-Dickinson r. 1894
1894 John George Gibson r. 1895
1896 Edward Gripper Banks, D.D. Captain Beeching d. 1904
1904 Alexander Chorley Crossfield, M .A. Bishop of Ely by lapse
1914 Ellerton Garside Alderson, M .A. Major Beeching r. 1933
1936 John George Frederick Holmes, M .A. Bishop of Ely r. 1947
1947 George A. Green, B.A Hon Canon " " r. 1955
1957 Herbert Hinkley Queen Elizabeth II r. 1967
1967 Robin Jeffree, A .K .C. Bishop of Ely r. 1983
1985 John R. Sansom " " r. 1991
1993 Ayodeji Malcolm Guite " " r. 1998
1999 Mark Savage r. 2012
Copied from a list in the church on the right of south doors
Little is known about most of the vicars listed above, presumably they preached their sermons, tended their flock and lived their lives. Documentary evidence of several survives.
Rev G. Cockburn-Dickinson
The 'Local News' column of The Hunts Guardian Friday May 8 1885 recorded the following MELANCHOLY OCCURRENCE- "On Saturday last an inquest was held at the King of Prussia public house in this village on the body of Francis Trevelyan Egerton Dickerson aged 10, son of the Rev. G. C. Dickerson, vicar of Hartford, who was taken out of the water dead that morning. It appeared from the evidence of Elizabeth Hitch, one of the domestic servants in the family, that on Friday the deceased, his younger brother and the vicar were working in the garden before early dinner, and as was supposed they all went into the house about 1.00 (sic) to dine. The deceased disappeared from the house and the vicar and the other son sat down to dinner, but as deceased did not go to dinner also a search was made for him about the house and garden. Witness ultimately went to the riverside and there she found the jacket that had been worn by the deceased, but could not find him anywhere. A search in the river was then made for the body until late in the evening, but without success. His cap was found in a chair in the kitchen. The dog was kept near the boathouse and deceased used sometimes go and fetch the dog, but it was not there when he went to the boathouse. Did not think deceased knew the dog was brought from the boathouse. George Crow, labourer, Hartford, deposed to finding the body on Saturday morning about four yards from the bank. The water was about 20 feet deep where he pulled it out. The jury returned a verdict of "accidentally drowned in the river Ouse".
His surviving children seem to have caused him some embarrassment, according to 'the Looker-On' in the local paper of 19th March 1892, shown opposite. The consequence of these events resulted in the item below being reported in the following Saturday's paper. For those interested, the complete transcript of the "Petty Sessions" can be read on a microfilm in the reference section of Huntingdon library.
"The Hunts County Guardian"
Saturday 26th March 1892
Rev E. Gripper Banks
These newspaper cuttings can be found in a file left by Sidney Inskip Ladds who was an architect and local historian and has already been mentioned in connection with the vicarage. We still frequently use a chalice in our services that is engraved in his memory .
courtesy of the Norris Museum, St Ives
Rev A. C. Crosfield
The 1st Hunts (Hartford) Scout Group is the fourth oldest Group in the world. It was founded in February 1908 by the Rev A.C. Crosfield and Mr. R.C. Coleridge, the first Scout Master. The original six scouts were Grenville Onyett (the first Patrol Leader of the Peewit Patrol), Harry Miles, W Wright, H Wright, P Woods and R Watts. They are pictured in a copy of this 1909 lanternslide with the Rev. Crosfield and Mr. Coleridge. Rev. Crosfield became County Secretary and Commandant for the Boy Scouts.
According to a 1912 biography, he had been born in Liverpool in 1867, gained his M.A. at Clare College, Cambridge in 1895, and became vicar of Hartford in 1904. He was also connected with the Church Lads Brigade. He left Hartford in 1913 and moved to South Africa. His death was recorded by the Hunts Post on 1st November 1934.